Friday, January 30, 2009

PPA in Phoenix, AZ

I recently attended Imaging USA in Phoenix, Arizona.  It is an annual conference and trade show put on by the Professional Photographers of America, the world's largest nonprofit association for professional photographers.  It was a wonderful event, so full of opportunities to learn more about lighting, equipment, technology, and products.  I took notes like crazy and my head is still spinning a little.  It was also a great opportunity to meet some of the most accomplished photographers in the world and get tips that challenge me as a professional and encourage me to value my craft.  

Technology is really transforming this industry.  I sometimes hear photographers complain that the advances Nikon and Cannon have made in their equipment enable non-professionals to pick up a camera and compete with professionals.  That just isn't true.  The longer I work in photography, the more assured I am that it takes so much more than a good camera to create beautiful images.  It takes an artist's eye and a sense of how to frame an image.  It takes knowledge of lighting, depth of field, shutter speed and ISO.  It takes a sense of style that sets that photographer apart from his or her competition.  It takes a tireless devotion to creating art and pleasing clients.  It isn't a part time job.  A friend told me that once and I will always appreciate it.  Anyone can get a lucky shot, but a photographer is an artist and I believe that every person, every family, every business needs professional photography.  It doesn't need to cost a fortune, but it needs to be an investment.  It is art that takes time and money to develop and time and money to create.  I have yet to meet a photographer that was overpaid.  But I do think that we can sometimes improve the end product we give our clients.  I think as technology moves forward, so do our clients needs.  And if we are professionals, our ability to meet those needs moves forward too.

No comments: